[rescue] XTERMS - was: Free: Sparcstation 1/1+/2/5, U5, monitors, cables.

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Feb 18 21:54:19 CST 2008

  On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at  4:51 PM, Steve Hatle wrote:

> An xterm in the garage- that is a capital idea! I've always thought it
> would
> be great to have 'net access in the garage when working on the bike,
> cars,
> etc. but didn't want to put a computer out there for the same reason-
> Minnesota winter.
>
> One downside is my garage is detached, but I guess I could trench out
> some
> copper, or look at wireless bridging...

The powerline network adapters work well, assuming your garage is on the
same power panel as your house. They can't sit behing surge protectors,
but otherwise work fine in my exp. I used a pair to run Ethernet access
from the basement to the 2nd floor of my house before I ran my Cat5e
lightning rod around the house.

I used a pair of Netgear units (XE102, IIRC), but something like this
would likely be just as gooD (it's the newer version):

http://netgear.com/Products/PowerlineNetworking/PowerlineEthernetAdapters.aspx

Lionel