[rescue] 9" VAIO with transmeta processor

Steve Hatle shatle at nfldinet.com
Mon Feb 18 13:08:27 CST 2008

On 2/18/08 12:21 PM, "Dan Sikorski"  wrote:

> everything seems to just work with the exception of audio,
> but i haven't looked into that at all, i just noticed that it wasn't
> working.  It might just be muted in software.  Did you have any problems
> with that?

I didn't try audio. I'll check it out tonight and see; for what I'd use the
machine for no audio is not a problem.

> I really wish that it was reasonable to add more memory to it.  128MB
> just barely cuts it.  Firefox is usable only on simple websites and for
> minimal browsing time.  Thunderbird sucked.  Pidgin was ok.  I've seen
> 256MB modules on ebay, but they are hundreds of dollars.  The machine
> isn't worth that much to me.

Yeah- even a total of 256M would make a difference. I was going to follow
the suggestions from the list and try dillo and see how that works for
browsing. Not sure what I'd do for mail. With my iPhone, browsing or mail
might not matter.

The primary uses for me are a small serial console, ethereal/network
diagnostic tools, etc. "Productivity" apps are a bonus, though a browser is
pretty much getting to be a necessity these days.

Steve