[rescue] 9" VAIO with transmeta processor

Steve Hatle shatle at nfldinet.com
Mon Feb 18 08:07:17 CST 2008

On 2/13/08 12:29 PM, "Dan Sikorski"  wrote:

> Well, i only played with it for about 20 minutes this morning before
> left for work, but the xubuntu install finished overnight, and it came
> up with a good X config that had proper graphics support, the PCMCIA
> cd-rom worked, and everything seemed pretty good.  It seemed a bit
> sluggish, but i suspect that i could go in and get rid of some things
> that i don't need to help it out.

I fiddled with mine this weekend and installed xubuntu. My machine is the
PCG-C1X, and I didn't get a good X config at first. I had to diddle
xorg.conf to get the 1024x480 resolution that this things supports, but once
that was done, it seems to run fine; recognized my wireless card, USB port,
etc.

As you say, it is a bit sluggish, but I'll also go and prune out things I
don't need.

Thanks for the kick in the pants- it's just what I needed to apply myself
and get the new OS installed. Now I need to decide if I'll use it enough to
justify buying a new battery and a USB to serial converter. The main reason
I still hang on to my TP 240 is that it has a "real" serial port.

Steve