[rescue] Commodore and other kit

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sat Feb 16 11:30:19 CST 2008

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 11:30:10AM -0800, Nadine Miller wrote:

> >This stuff is worth a fortune. Not only are there Heathkit collectors,
> >lots of people still use and love these things. I think you would be
> >best off locating a Heathkit user's mailing list and posting it there.
> >The worst place to sell it would be eBay, they would be stripped for
> >parts. :-(
>
> Pointers to such a mailing list?  Someone on list has spoken for the
> Grid Dip Meter--he wants it for his business--which says something about
> it's reliability.

I don't think it's so much it's reliability, as it's utility. Grid Dip
meters are very rare these days. If it has all of its coils it's worth
"good money". I've heard of people displaying them on sale at hamfests,
only to find the coils stolen from their table. :-(

MFJ sells one, however MFJ stuff has a reputation for good designs,
low prices, and horrible quality control. If you have one of their
antenna analyziers, you can STFW for a German manual for the 259,
which includes intstructions on how to make coils for it and use it
as a grip dip meter. It will work for all models.

On the other hand if I had the money, I would have bought everything
you had. :-)

> Yep.  I actually gave this to him some years ago when I switched to a
> color Handspring.  He upgraded to the Tungsten early last year, and used
> it when he was in the hospital after cracking some ribs from a fall
> (both diseases are hell on your balance).

I've even used mine as a eBook reader. :-)

> Oh, there's also Hammond organ parts, and a functioning organ too
> (haven't gotten it moved to check the model number yet), if any of you
> are interested in that kind of thing or know someone who is.

Rimmer?

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838