[rescue] U5 PCI riser

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Feb 14 09:41:12 CST 2008

  On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at  6:16 AM, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> After we took a power hit yesterday, I had considerable trouble
> getting my firewall U5 back up.  It would only boot on every second to
> third power-on attempt, I had to replace one of the NICs, swap out the
> PCI riser from another machine that's not using its PCI slots, and
> still had to move the other NIC to a different PCI slot.
>
> Does the U5's PCI riser have a rep for being troublesome in this
> fashion?

Define power hit please - what else was hit/died? Was the system on a
surge protector? (I ask becuase I'm in the process of building a
"proper" data center in my basement and I'm currently thinking about
power issues (as the first logical step after network connectivitiy).

Luckily the U5 is a low-cost item, so replacing them with a cold spare
is not a big deal, but I am suprised the PCI riser/PCI NIC were impacted
from a power line hit (I would have assumed the MB would have sacrificed
itself and spared the PCI cards, memory and HDs. I guess the reality is
the riser is wired directly to the PS, and when the PS died, it took out
the riser.

Were it me, I'd question the remaining life of the U5 chassis and
consider swapping it out with another one. If you don't have another
one, I can send you one for actual shipping cost. If interested, contact
me off-list.

Lionel