[rescue] SGI Octane hardware issues

jodys at helluin.org jodys at helluin.org
Thu Feb 14 02:17:08 CST 2008

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 01:01:54AM -0600, Mike Killebrew wrote:
> I have an octane that no longer powers on, fans come on, but no
> lights or joy. Anyone able to speculate as to the cause of the
> problem? frontplane or power supply?

If you haven't tried, reseat everything (mainboard, graphics, power
supply). Octanes, with their compression connectors, are suprisingly
finicky about these things.

It's possible that somehow the system is misconfigured and the light bar
bulb burnt out. You could double check the XIO leds (take off the front
cover, on the lower left) to see if the backplane is working and talking
to anything else. I believe the meaning of all the LEDs is documented in
the Octane manual. If that appears okay, I'd set up a console on the
serial port to see if it is generating any errors. IIRC, the system
should report any errors over the serial port regardless of the PROM
configuration.

Alas, I have a R10K Octane, but it lacks a power supply which may very
well be your problem.

Jody