[rescue] Pinball machine available

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Tue Feb 12 12:02:10 CST 2008

On Tue, 2006-10-17 at 14:56 -0400, der Mouse wrote:
> Okay, it's not quite typical fodder for here, but it seems to me to be
> close enough to count as on-topic.
>
> Two friends of mine (okay, a friend and an acquaintance) have a pinball
> machine.  But it's sitting in a barn and they'd like to get it in the
> hands of someone who'll use/appreciate it before winter hits (it's been
> there for a few months, but this would be its first winter).
>
> I've never seen it myself.  Here's what I've been told:
>
> It's a "Data East Robocop" machine.

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1976

Built in 1990, not a bad machine.

> So, my questions: (1) is it worth anything in its current shape, or
> does the damage (and/or maltreatment) cut its value to the point where
> it's comparable to the cost of hauling it away?

Without pictures, hard to say, but more likely than not, yes, it does
have value, especially to a collector as a "fixer-upper". I wouldn't
toss it out.

This is a reasonably good source for buyers:
http://www.xmission.com/~daina/classified/data/machines_wanted.html

Anyone reasonably local on that list would probably also be willing to
look at it and give an estimate of worth.

hth,

~spot