[rescue] Wide disk on Narrow bus, reprise

Mark Brown sunrescue at marknmel.com
Sat Feb 9 16:25:07 CST 2008

The other Mark wrote:
> On 9 Feb 2008, at 17:42, Curious George wrote:
>
>> For the LX, there just isn't enough room behind
>> the drive to squeeze in *any* sort of adapter.
>> You'd have to go to a laptop drive and/or modify
>> the mounting brackets.
>>
>> My approach *should* have been painless  :-/
>
> Will the LX take 1.6" high disks? I suspect it won't but if it will
> you can get SCSIDE adapters that sit under a 1" disk and convert it to
> SCSI without adding much extra baggage to the form factor.

IIRC, my IPX had a Barracuda 1.6".    The IPX (or LX for that matter)
wasn't really built to dissipate the kind of heat a Barracuda could
produce.   I would think a modern 2.5" or 3.5"/1"  style disks could
work like a charm, with said adapter and some creative cabling.  IDE
signaling isn't as fussy as SCSI, so you could fab your own IDE cables -
if you had the scsi<>ide adapter....

You could have 120 gig of fun in your LX this way.... :-)

/M