[rescue] Wide disk on Narrow bus, reprise

Mark Brown sunrescue at marknmel.com
Fri Feb 8 01:14:02 CST 2008

Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> Curious George wrote:
>> Hi, Lionel,

>>> I like the D201GLY2 motherboard - it isn't the
>>> fastest or "greenest" MB out there, but at about
>>> $70-75, it is a great value for a small little box.
>>> The latest version has two SATA ports and an IDE
>>> port, is fan-less, and can take up to two Gigs of
>>> DDR2 RAM (single DIMM).[0]
>>
>> Overkill.  The LX would have been good for the
>> job *if* it had some more disk space (4G is just
>> not enough and with a box full of 18G drives I
>> figured *that* was a logical upgrade  :< )
>
> Why not just pick up 18GB narrow drives?  They were indeed made, once
> upon a time.

Ah - you are missing the finer point of this upgrade.

Having once tried this and failing with my IPX, I understand with the OP
was trying to do. Square peg into a round hole.
I love it :-)

I've often wondered how a scsi<>ide acard adapter would work?  But at
$80 or so, sounds like an expensive LX or IPX (or U5/10 with a scsi card
- and yes I know that U5/10's already have ide...)