[rescue] Wide disk on Narrow bus, reprise

Jonathan Groll lists at groll.co.za
Wed Feb 6 01:56:04 CST 2008

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 04:26:45PM -0800, Curious George wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Well, I've tried several different ways to get
> a wide drive onto a narrow SCSI bus (SPARC LX)
> and can't seem to figure out what is going wrong.
>
> The most promising approaches (for mechanical
> reasons) used short, in-line adapters to alter
> the cabling between the drive and the motherboard.
>
> In the first case, I tried installing a 68pin (M)
> to 50pin (M) adapter on the back of the wide drive.
> In effect, this made the drive *look* like a
> 50pin narrow drive.  The short ribbon cable between
> the drive and motherboard was then installed.
>
> But, the adapter makes the drive "too long" for
> the space available in the LX case (i.e., the
> ribbon cable connector sticks out beyond the

How about getting an external tape drive enclosure?

They are quite easy to get hold of, and the innards can be replaced
with your drive in question (and you can power the drive with the old
tape drive's power connectors). Then you just need a really long SCSI
cable to snake out to the external drive....

Cheers,
Jonathan