[rescue] san boot + U60

Jonathan Sturges jonathansturges at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 1 08:27:03 CST 2008

Message: 10
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 21:23:01 +0200
From: "Dimitar Vasilev" <dimitar.vassilev at gmail.com>
Subject: [rescue] san boot + U60
To: "The Rescue List" <rescue at sunhelp.org>

Hi!
I'd like to set-up my U60 to boot from an a5200 unit.
I'm with OBP 3.31 for the system.
When I enter probe-scsi-all I see the path to which my HBA is attached.
However ok probe-fcal-all echoes
probe-fcal-all ?
Will it be enough to make the right aliases to the fc disks in the prom
to boot from the a5200?
Thanks.

--
PP8P<P8QQ
Q PP0QP8P;P5P2

GnuPG key ID: 0x9E997D24
Keyserver: pgp.mit.edu
Primary key fingerprint: CFB1 C9D4 F685 D6A9 5045  E762 013D D411 9E99 7D24

Dimitar,
I believe the U60 should boot fine from the A5200, especially if the A5200 is directly-attached to the U60.  Make sure you have applied any BIOS/firmware and FCODE patches for your FC HBAs.  You will need FCODE to boot from fibre channel, which could be hard to get for some 3rd-party HBAs; Sun's HBAs should have it pre-flashed on there.
Do you see disks when you do probe-scsi-all?  If you can see disks, you should be able to install an OS to one of them.  The Solaris installer should also set your 'boot-device' value properly for the A5200.  You may have to create your own aliases however.

good luck...

PS- If this message is formatted badly, please accept my apologies; I'm having issues with Yahoo! Mail.