[rescue] VAXstation VLCs?

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Tue Dec 30 03:33:46 CST 2008

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 17:09:34 -0600
Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:

> Anybody have a VAXstation VLC (or something similar size/power-usage
> wise) they want to get rid of?
>
> I want to get back into fiddling with OpenVMS
If you just want VMS you may consider an Alpha.
_Much_ faster then any VAX. A PWS 500au would be a good choice.
Avoid the Multia, it is prone to fail due to overheating.

If you really want a VAXstation then go for a VAXstation 4000-90. That is the
best you can get. The VLC, nice, cute and small, is one of the slowest
VAXstations around. Even the VAXstation 3100m76 is faster, can take more
memory and better graphics (real SPX). The VAXstation 4000-60 would be better
(twice as fast, four times the RAM) then the VLC, but still a good bit slower
then the -90. The VAXstation 3100 and 4000 have better ventilation also. I.e.
the fans make less, _less_ noise then the smal turbine in the VLC.

If you don't need graphics you may consider a MicroVAX 3100m9x or a MicroVAX
4000-10x. These are desktop sized VAXen of about the same speed as the
VAXstation 4000-90. I.e.: The fastest VAXen build ever. Be carefull with the
MicroVAX 4000-10x: IIRC they need DSSI disks, no SCSI.

You may have a look at:
http://www.netbsd.org/docs/Hardware/Machines/DEC/vax/sections.html
Anything with a Mariah or NVAX CPU should be OK.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen