[rescue] VAXstation VLCs?

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Mon Dec 29 20:49:32 CST 2008

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 09:05:34PM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Settle for a login?
> http://deathrow.vistech.net/

Yeah but I can do that on simh on a local machine.

> Maybe a smallish Itanium box, many of them can run OpenVMS, right?

A couple friends of mine recently got rx2660s for $175 each in order to do
just that!  Unfortunately I couldn't jump on the deal at the time.

> I'm sure you've seen this:
> http://hoffmanlabs.org/openvms/index.shtml#platform

Yes, of course - I was running OpenVMS 7.3 via Hobbyist Program licenses on
simh.  I've just got a jonesing for tiny actual VAX hardware.

The funny thing is, ten years ago I had a pile (literally) of VAX 3100s in
various configurations, probably 3' tall, that I gave away or sold when I
had to move.  8-(

I could have just about any Sun hardware I wanted (up to Blade 1000 level
or so) on my porch within a week just for asking right now, but when you
look for VAX stuff on eBay, it's all overpriced eBay Stores sellers now.

What I'd love would be a VAXstation VLC (since its the smallest of all the
"desktop" VAXen), a Plextor or DEC CD-ROM drive, and one of the Planar
ELT320 flat panel terminals.  As far as I can tell, though, that config
would cost me $300+ nowdays.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford