[rescue] Powermac G5

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Tue Dec 9 19:59:12 CST 2008

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008, Brendan Shanks wrote:
> On Dec 8, 2008, at 9:07 AM, Joshua Boyd wrote:

>>> The Dual 2.0Ghz model is not liquid cooled.
>>
>> All dual 2.0s aren't liquid cooled, or only some aren't liquid cooled?  I
>> seem to recall that there were at least three significant revisions of the
>> dual 2.0,
>
> LEM has a nice summary <http://lowendmac.com/ppc/power-macintosh-g5.html>:

<snip>

> I think this leaves the dual 2.3 as the fastest air-cooled G5. Even without
> the LCS, the G5s still weren't super-reliable as a family: MacInTouch
> mentions logic boards and power supplies as common problems with all the G5s.

Which is how I got my Dual G5.  I got it from a friend who'd gotten it
from another friend.  This one had a dead power-supply and he didn't
want to pay to have it fixed.  He looked up online what was require to
replace it himself and decided he didn't want to do it, so he bought a
C2D Mini instead.  He gave me the G5 unit, said that I could keep it if
I wanted to do the work, or if I sold it, would I split the proceeds
with him.

I fixed it and kept it, retiring my 733 Mhz 'Digital Audio' G4.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org