[rescue] off topic book recommendations

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sat Dec 6 11:44:17 CST 2008

On Sat, Dec 06, 2008 at 02:00:46AM -0500, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
> I'm looking for recommendations on good books for ruby on rails
> (and ruby programming language books too).
> Currently on the list off possibles are:
> Professional Ruby on Rails by Noel Rappin
> The Rails Way by Obie Fernandez
> Advanced Rails (Illustrated) by Brad Ediger
> Simply Rails 2 by Patrick Lenz
> The Ruby Programming Language by Flanagan & Matsumoto
> Ruby on Rails by David Black

The problem is that new version of Ruby and Rails are coming out faster
than the publishers can keep up.

The Ruby Way, Second Edition: Solutions and Techniques in Ruby Programming
(2nd Edition)
http://www.amazon.com/Ruby-Way-Second-Addison-Wesley-Professional/dp/0672328844

Programming Ruby: The Pragmatic Programmers' Guide, Second Edition
http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Ruby-Pragmatic-Programmers-Second/dp/0974514055

Agile Web Development with Rails, Third Edition (beta version)
http://www.pragprog.com/titles/rails3/agile-web-development-with-rails-third-edition

You end up with stuff like the "beta books" and PDFs while waiting on
real-tree versions to be published.

Lenz's book is good.  I've heard good things about Fernandez's book too.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
Houston, Texas