[rescue] Source for cheapo Copper Optical T3 converters?

Mr Ian Primus ian_primus at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 5 08:44:03 CST 2008

--- On Fri, 12/5/08, Mark KAHRS <kahrs at caip.rutgers.edu> wrote:

> So, what's up with this?  I want to add a Sun T3 fibre
> channel array to
> my local network --- and the T3 has copper but the rest of
> my fibre
> channel "junk" (spousal terminology) is optical.
>
> On fleabay, the converters are > $50 when all sorts of
> GBICs are < $10.
> So, go figure!
>
> Where might I find cheap converters?

I had a similar problem. I wanted to connect fibre channel disk (copper) to my box, but the only fibre channel card I could find in the 'junk' was optical. I managed to dig up a discarded fibre channel hub, however, fitted with all optical GBICs. I bought some cheap copper GBICs and fitted them into the hub, and hooked it all up. Worked perfectly.

So, instead of looking for a dedicated converter, try looking for a fibre channel hub. The one I have is an IBM model, it's just a small black box with a bunch of GBIC slots in it.

-Ian