[rescue] Linux FSs

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Thu Dec 4 18:37:39 CST 2008

Saquinn624 at aol.com wrote:
> All the recent talk about IRIX vs Linux (specifically the XFS part) got me
> wondering about the various filesystems for Linux, and it doesn't look like
> there's much recent information in the wild about how the various options compare
> in real life (also I'm not quite technically into it enough to figure out some
> of the bits).
> So: it looks like XFS is probably not the best option, so that seems to leave
> JFS and possibly AdvFS in the running for high-performance filesystems (at
> least until (and if) ZFS makes it into Linux).
>
> What does the list think?

For my money, JFS is the way to go on Linux right now.  ext2/ext3 are
stablew but slow and antiquated; ReiserFS has always been of suspect
reliability, and has horribly high CPU utilization for delete
operations; XFS, as previously noted, is not fully supported on Linux.
The rest are pretty much bit players (so to speak).

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.