[rescue] patching Solaris - anyone used PCA

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Thu Dec 4 10:02:01 CST 2008

" From: Jay York <jay_york at verizon.net>
"
" Yupper, that's the best one.  The Sun tools are all crap.  Of course,
" this assumes that you don't want to pursue the method that Sun
" prefers, which is periodic download of the Recommended clusters (which
" can be had online by googling...)
"
" One thing about pca that I haven't figured out is how to install
" previously download patches.  I can download without installing, but
" can't install without downloading at the same time.
"

i've been using pca for ~6 mo +/-.  my pca.conf:

nobackup=all
user=##################
passwd=##################
patchdir=/export/install/patches/8/
patchurl=file://export/install/patches/8/
wget=/opt/csw/bin/wget
xrefdir=/usr/local/patchcheck_1.2/

pca goes to my patchdir before sunsolve.

yes, i'm still running s8.

i also have /usr/local/bin/wget from sunfreeware because sun's patch
access wget scripts won't work with 1.11 and pca won't work with 1.10.2
also, despite what sun's docs claim, i couldn't get https
authentication until i replaced the domain name for sunsolve with its
ip.  i spent several months with tech support before stumbling on
this, and they couldn't explain why one worked but not the other.