[rescue] Trimming down Solaris 10

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 19:49:58 CST 2008

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 8:34 AM, Francois Dion <francois.dion at gmail.com> wrote:
> For a business server, and as far as trimming it down, is reduced
> network not spartan enough?

It's a bit too spartan for things like an Oracle server (which
requires X to install...*boggle*).

Right now I have a cobbled together franken-pkg-list in my profile
resulting from me trying to fix the errors that resulted from $prev_SA
cutting and pasting the Sol 9 list plus one or two other pkgs into the
profile.  There's still a bunch of dependency errors, but at least ntp
(!!) and other essentials are in it now.

> Reduced network doesn't have zones but includes zfs (without the java
> web console junk).

Web consoles <shudder>.

Jonathan Katz wrote:
> Here is my Solaris 10 Jumpstart profile. Starts out with SUNWXCreq and
> adds some packages but removes a bunch of others. Who needs telnet and
> ftp, anyway? I don't know if it has the stuff requried for ZFS.
<snipped package list>

Thank you for rescuing me from multiple iterations trying to fix my
package list.  /me hands Jonathan a cookie.

I'm up to 16GB of swap (/tmp == swap) on my oracle boxes at the
request of the dba and expanded /var to 8GB for CYA since I've seen it
grow close to 4GB on some of the boxes.

For those of you with a lot of recent Sol 10 experience, what's the
scoop on patching?  smpatch, or some other patch-system-du-jour?  Or
just damn all their attempts to fix it and download the cluster and
apply it the old-fashioned way?

Thanks--
=Nadine=