[rescue] Trimming down Solaris 10

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 10:34:34 CST 2008

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 6:07 PM, velociraptor <velociraptor at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 4:48 AM, Francois Dion <francois.dion at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 2:18 AM, Skeezics Boondoggle <skeezicsb at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I only boot up that U5 these days to
>>> tinker with installing OpenStep 4.2/Mach on a SunPCi II card.  (Why?
>>> Because it's there!)
>>
>> Could you explain how you do this? I cant figure out how to install
>> OSes that are not directly supported by the installer. Been trying to
>> install Solaris x86 on the sunpci, for example. You could boot from
>> the network with some work, but where do you install?
>
> Why are you cluttering up a perfectly good OS flamewar with
> reasonable, technical questions requesting useful info, Francois? ;-)

I like to do that, it's a bad habit :)

I changed the subject.

> I'd like to see that trimmed down package list myself for Solaris 10,
> though.  It's not about saving disk space, it's about saving time
> while patching and being more secure as far as servers go.

I was thinking rescue, so home machines...

For a business server, and as far as trimming it down, is reduced
network not spartan enough?

Reduced network doesn't have zones but includes zfs (without the java
web console junk).
So if you need zones, just add:

SUNWzoner
SUNWzoneu

and if you need live upgrade, you'll need also:

SUNWlucfg
SUNWlur
SUNWluu
SUNWluzone (if you added zones).