[rescue] SGI Indigo2 & IRIX 6.5

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Mon Dec 1 05:51:03 CST 2008

Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

>>> Yes, but the one that comes with the box is fast and useful, not bloated
>>> and slow like KDE and GNOME.
>> KDE is not Linux.
>> GNOME is not Linux.
>
> Okay, then Linux comes with no desktop environment.  Point for IRIX.  Oh,
> Linux also doesn't come with a dynamic loader.  Or a shell.  Or a
> bootloader.  Damn, what can you do with that thing?

OK, now you're just being silly and petty.  We all know that just about
*every* Linux distribution ships with a dynamic loader (you were
criticizing it earlier, remember?), a choice of shells (probably more
than you get on IRIX), a choice of several bootloaders, and more choices
of desktop environment than you can shake a stick at.  Granted, some of
them need to be BEATEN with a stick, but you still have the choice there
if you want them.  Whereas, if memory serves, on Solaris prior to 10 you
could have any desktop environment you liked as long as you like
OpenWindows or CDE, and on Solaris 10 you get any environment you like
as long as you like GNOME, and on IRIX you get any environment you like
as long as you like ... what's it called again?

OK, fine, you don't like Linux.  Your position is noted.  It's not the
optimal OS for real SGI hardware.  That, too, is noted.  You only weaken
your position by stretching your arguments against Linux to the point of
ridicule in order to scrape up things to bash it with.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.