[rescue] Selling or giving away my IPX + monitor

Ari Johnson iamtheari at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 12:56:37 CDT 2008

I am looking at passing along my SparcStation IPX and the monitor that
I got with it many years ago.  It has been in storage for the past 8
years, although I took it out to make sure it still works just the
other week.  I also put a fresh installation of OpenBSD 4.2 on it (as
I had installed Red Hat Linux the last time I used it, by way of
experiment).

Please e-mail me if you are interested in any of these items.  All
reasonable offers will be entertained, with the one requirement being
that the recipient has to cover my costs of packing and shipping the
items (especially the monitor!)  Thanks!

Sun SparcStation IPX.  Details:
  - in an enclosure labeled for the IPC, but this is an IPX (cgsix
graphics, etc.)
  - 32MB RAM
  - 1010MB internal hard drive
  - dead nvram battery (replacement can easily be had for $20-30 with
some help from Froogle; cold reboots require entering in some boot
monitor commands which I have printed out and keep with the machine;
all reboots default to network even if disk is selected so you have to
Stop-A (or send a Break if on the serial console) and 'boot disk')
  - working floppy drive
  - includes 10Base-T AUI converter

I will throw in a serial cable that will connect this machine with a
9-pin DIN connector, such as on a PC, for serial console purposes, in
case you don't want the monitor.

Sun HM-4119-S-DA-OL monitor.  Details:
  - 19"
  - all controls on rear
  - beige housing
  - Hitachi-made
  - gigantic
  - heavy
  - dated September, 1990
  - possibly responsible for the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald due to weight
  - works great!

13W3 cable, Sun-branded, slightly damaged connectors - with some
finagling, you can get it working perfectly, but if you don't spend a
few minutes getting it hooked up you end up with white => yellow color
translation.

Sun Type 5 keyboard with cable

Sun Type 5 optical mouse with mousepad in mint condition

CD-ROM drive, cartridge type, possibly Sun-bootable but I don't have
any Solaris installation CD to check with.  I'll throw in an
HD50-to-CN50 connector to hook it up to the IPX with if you get both.

A Solaris 2.5.1 Desktop SPARC Platform Edition box with several
books/manuals, leaflets, and two CDs in a Solaris CD folder:
  - Updates for SOLARIS Operating Environment 2.5.1 SPARC
  - Desktop 1.1 (Common Desktop Environment 1.0.2, ODBC Driver Manager
2.11, Wabi 2.2), SPARC / x86 / PowerPC Platform Edition
(I got this set with the IPX and I think it may have been intended to
include the Solaris 2.5.1 operating environment install CDs, but it
does not.  The machine originally ran 2.5.1, but when I got the IPX it
had an external hard drive containing /usr and no cable, nor could I
find one without much traveling, so I impatiently installed OpenBSD on
it and never looked back.)

Historical note: This is the machine responsible for building the
OpenBSD/sparc blessed client for Netrek.  You haven't really played
Netrek until you've done so on a 256-color Sun machine with a 19" CRT.