[rescue] Gigabit Ethernet SBus & Gigabit Ethernet Sun 420R/220R

kevin r. marhsall kevin at pipeline.com
Fri Apr 25 08:36:58 CDT 2008

Jumbo frames can make a huge difference, especially on "bus impaired" older, low end stuff.

I went to great lengths to keep a large portion of the network at my old job jumbo clean.  I just setup a small linux box to route between the clean and unclean subnets.  There will always be some stuff, like JetDirect cards, that are not compliant so some type of go between will be necessary.

The main annoyance in doing so is finding out if a particular NIC is actually jumbo clean or not and if so, to what degree.  Not all jumbo clean devices support MTUs all the way up to 9000.  Getting this info from the manufacturers can often be a difficulty.