[rescue] Gigabit Ethernet SBus & Gigabit Ethernet Sun 420R/220R

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri Apr 25 08:19:33 CDT 2008

>From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>Date: 2008/04/24 Thu PM 11:02:21 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Gigabit Ethernet SBus & Gigabit Ethernet Sun 420R/220R

<snip>

>On my gigabit LAN, I seem to max out usually around 20MBytes/sec.
>
>That's going from a Mac Pro to a Dell T105.
>
>Neither of them is using enough CPU to even show up during a transfer,
>so I'm not sure why I can't get better.
>
>Of course, my NAS box maxes out at less than that, around 14MBytes/
>sec, but it has a tiny 200MHz embedded CPU.
>
>Seems to me CPU isn't the issue, nor should the bus be an issue with
>my Mac and my Dell, both of which have gigE on PCI Express.
>
>My switch is an HP 1800 24-port, which is supposed to have 48Gbit/sec
>of bandwidth.

Cabling? Have you tried a direct gigabit (crossover) connection? Also, your T105 is a "budget" system, which can cost less as a complete system that a good, server-grade Intel (or other) gigabit Ethernet adapter... (well, I exagerate the price difference, but the the point is valid I think, the on-board gigabit Ethernet adapter is not the best available, and better adapters do make a difference.)

Lionel