[rescue] Filesystem choice for fileserver?

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 10:13:44 CDT 2008

Michael-John Turner wrote:
>>> freenas --- > http://www.freenas.org
>>> openfiler --- > http://www.openfiler.com
>> I don't think either of these fit his requirements, do they?
>
> Correct. I'm not looking for a lightweight NAS-type device, but rather a
> server with a robust, fairly high-performance filesystem.

In any case, I'm just about done building out my own new file server
(4TB after RAID overhead, expandable to 12TB after overhead in the
chassis), and I've decided to go with FreeBSD + ZFS + NFS + Samba.  I'm
also using hardware RAID.  It's a Highpoint RocketRAID, for which I've
seen mixed reviews, but I'll see how it goes, and if I need to later,
I'm going to go with 3ware, but that would be a much more expen$$$ive
proposition.  It's a dual-processor dual-core Opteron with 4GB ECC RAM.
  Less than $2000 for the whole thing, including the drives.

I was thinking about using some sort of iSCSI target code, but I decided
that just wasn't for me.

Peace...  Sridhar