[rescue] Advice: Netra T1 AC200 CDROM woes

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Apr 10 21:09:47 CDT 2008

>From: Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net>
>Date: 2008/04/10 Thu PM 12:29:54 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Advice: Netra T1 AC200 CDROM woes

>On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 12:34:23PM -0500, Jerry K wrote:
>> Bill,
>>

>> FWIW, I picked up a Netra X1 with out a CDROM, or even any place to put
>> it a couple of years ago.  The X1 does not have a slot for an optical drive.
>>
>> I just opened the case, hung an old IDE drive off of the controller
>> chain and went forward from there. Once I had an OS, I pulled the drive
>> and closed the case back up.  The correct solution would have been to
>> boot it off of a jumpstart server, but I didn't have that available to
>> me at the time.
>
>FWIW, once I found an appropriate guide (thanks to MrBill), it took less
>time to install the jumpstart server and do a jumpstart install than it
>previously had taken to do a CD install.  And Jumpstart installs require
>a lot less attending.
>
>That assumes that you have at least one Solaris machine with enough disk
>space though.
>
>For SPARC hardware at least, I won't go back.

I did something similar, though it really just served up install images as if it were a CD-ROM drive (non-Jumpstart). It was very simple, and was along the lines of:

Create_install_server
Add_install_server
then add appropriate lines to /etc/hosts file and tie mac addr to IP address...

Install just takes-off - works real well with an Ultra 5/10 machine, since you can add a large (120 Gig or so) IDE HD and a 5 1/4" DVD drive and add Solaris DVDs to be installed over the network...

Lionel