[rescue] What a load of...

Michael-John Turner mj at turner.org.za
Sun Sep 30 23:56:44 CDT 2007

On Sun, Sep 30, 2007 at 10:03:18PM +0200, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> Back in the eighties, when I was in Denmark a lot, there were a bunch of
> South African ex-pats in Copenhagen, all of whom seemed to have US "muscle
> cars."  Mustangs, Camaros, even a couple of "Screaming Chicken" Pontiacs.
> Given the motoring millieu in Denmark then (high fuel costs, monstrous
> luxury tax on cars, etc.), the cars on the road there were modest and small.
> Those guys were pretty noticeable.  I expect they were pretty noticeable
> back in SA, with those cars, too.

Yeah, definitely. US muscle cars are pretty rare here - you the see the odd
Mustang, Camaro and Firebird, but nothing much more "exotic". I think it's
a result of those cars not being sold in large numbers here. Although I
wasn't around at the time, I think cars like the various Valiants (which I
think came from Australia) and British Fords (Capri, Cortina, etc) were
more easily availably. Still, a few months ago I saw a mint condition
Challenger on the roads...

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner | http://mjturner.net/