[rescue] WTF? Ultra 10/Solaris 10 Update 4 install problems

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun Sep 30 23:03:03 CDT 2007

>From: Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick at zill.net>
>Date: 2007/09/30 Sun PM 05:38:22 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] WTF? Ultra 10/Solaris 10 Update 4 install problems

>On Sep 30, 2007, at 6:17 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I was going through my Ultra 5/Ultra 10 collection earlier today,
>> and I decided to try and install Solaris 10, Update 4 (8/07) on an
>> Ultra 10 with Series 3 on-board graphics, 440 MHz CPU, 1024 Meg
>> RAM, and a 120 Gig IDE HD.
>>
>> Install went fine, but once installed, the "Java Desktop" came up
>> *really* grainy, and when I opened up a Firefox window, I got the
>> famous color map effect, where everything outside the active window
>> had odd colors assigned... It appears that Solaris 10, Update 4
>> either didn't load or didn't include an appropriate driver for the
>> on-board graphics... Is that even possible?
>
>I do know that they switched to Xorg (Zurg?) but I wouldn't think
>that would involve any issues with SPARC systems.

I think I figured it out - the issue appears to be the screen resolution of
the LCD panel O have attached tot he system...

The on-board display (embedded) can't handle 1280x1024 24 bit color - 1152x90
at 24 bit color is the maximum. I can confirm this tomorrow AM, but hsere is
the link that made me think this is the problem:

http://www.unixadmintalk.com/f57/ultra-10-video-questions-495921/

The last blog entry on the page talks about maximum resolution,,,

Lionel