[rescue] rescue Digest, Vol 58, Issue 27

Sheldon T. Hall shel at artell.net
Sun Sep 30 14:55:45 CDT 2007

Quoth Sridhar Ayengar ...
> [I wrote, of his Pinzgauer...]
>>
>> Is it in the USA?  How did you get it into the country?  I know the
>> Haflinger had a "US Spec" version (though I can't imagine
>> how), but did the Pinzgauer?
>
> I bought it from an importer.  It was old enough to be
> allowed into the country.

I thought cars had to be pre-1968 to get free admission nowadays, though I
suppose Federalizing a pre-73 might be do-able.

I bought a BMW in Germany in 1985, and brought it to the USA in 1986.  Since
it was 5 years old, I could exempt it from polution control requirements on
the "one per lifetime" exemption that was available then.  I still had to
have the various DOT crash stuff dome, file egineering studies, etc.  My
strong impression s that you haven't been able to do ay of that for about 10
years, though I admit I haven't kept up.

Of course, trucks and non-personal-car vehicles may have different rules....

-Shel