[rescue] rescuing an ailing U10

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sun Sep 30 12:51:48 CDT 2007

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007, Scott Quinn wrote:

> Does anyone know if there's a way to speed up the tests on an E3k?

I haven't found a way.  Thankfully, my E3000 rarely needs rebooting.

Look at it this way: at least it's not a moderate-to-large RS/6000
system.  $ork[-1] had a 7026-6H1 that took 15 - 20 minutes to get to the
firmware prompt, another another 3 - 4 to probe the boot device (mmm,
SAN) and finish booting AIX.  And then, was the 9117-570[0], where doing
a cold restart almost literally meant you could go take lunch.  The fun
with that system was that, in the default configuration, the hardware
powers off when the last LPAR is shut down.  I kept running into the
problem that, in the time the system took to come back online, I'd
forgotten to turn that setting off.

[0] My understanding is that this has improved with later firmware, if
     you don't have too many I/O drawers.
--
Jonathan Patschke     )  "So far, 99% of illegal activity has been caused
Elgin, TX            (    by criminals."