[rescue] rescuing an ailing U10...

James Hartley jjhartley at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 23:10:21 CDT 2007

On 9/27/07, James Hartley <jjhartley at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've inherited an Ultra 10 with a questionable past.  I've swapped out
> the CD-ROM drive for a newer DVD/CD-R drive, but I haven't changed
> hard drives yet.  When I boot, I get the following error:
> ===8<-----
> boot device: /pci at 1f, 0/pci at 1, 1/ide at 3/cdrom at 2, 0:f File and args:
> Can't read disk label.
> Can't open disk label package
>
> Can't open boot device
>
> ok

The problem was that the expected channels were the opposite of the
actual cabling.  Once I switched the cables, the DVD drive could then
read discs correctly.  Information displayed by devalias & probe-ide
caused me to question where the PROM understood devices to reside, &
where they were in reality.

...which leads me to another question for the gentle readership here.
Where can I find information explaining the following format?

/pci at 1f, 0/pci at 1, 1/ide at 3/cdrom at 2, 0:f

I don't even know what this format is called, so my searching on
Google is a bit impaired.

Any candor which can be shared would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Jim.