[rescue] What a load of...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri Sep 28 15:10:13 CDT 2007

>From: Steven Ball <hamster at snurkle.net>
>Date: 2007/09/28 Fri PM 02:03:14 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] What a load of...

>On Sep 28, 2007, at 12:51 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>
>> Steven Ball wrote:
>>> I have a '73 Mustang Mach 1 fastback, with a 351 cubic inch (5.8
>>> liter) 'Cleveland' canted valve V8.  It runs pretty well, and I get
>>> about 16-18 miles to the gallon.  It probably puts out something like
>>> 160-180 HP.
>>
>> Most versions of the 351C put out quite a bit more than 180HP even in
>> stock trim.  How much exactly depends on which 351C version it was (H,
>> M, R or Q).  The H-code engine was the low-performer of the range,
>> with
>> 2 valves per cylinder, low-compression heads and a 2-barrel
>> carburetor.

I had a '71 Mach I (blue w/silver center stripe) and a 351C (low output version as well) - traded it for an engagement ring just over 15 years ago... No regrets.

I often joke that one way you know you are a "car guy" is if you "gave up" a car to get married. At the time I had 3 Mustangs - a '67 straight-6 Convertible, an '89 5.0 convertible, and a '71 Mach I fastback...

Now I'm thinking about the new Shelby Convertible, but at 6' 7" it could be a tight squeeze (the problem being the console, IIRC).

Lionel