[rescue] What a load of...

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Thu Sep 27 17:37:36 CDT 2007

" From: "John Ruschmeyer" <jruschme at gmail.com>
"
" > From: Sandwich Maker
" > Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2007 2:19 PM
" >
" > but my dad's '66 saab 96 weighed 1700 lbs; the '66 volvo 122, 2300;
" > the '71 saab 99, 2400; my '66 rambler american - a real 6-passenger
" > car - 2625.  and the rambler got 25mpg with a 1bbl carb and 3-speed
" > tranny.  i know; i put over 30000 miles on it.  i've heard folks with
" > the optional overdrive claim over 30mpg and i believe it.
"
" '66 Rambler American... now that brings back memories. My dad had the '65
" American, a 220 with the same 3-speed tranny. (Why does 196 cubic inches
" stick in my mind?)

'65 was the last year for the old nash prewar flathead, 196 cubes.  my
car had the new-for-'64 232 destroked to 199.  btw this is the first
gen of the family that includes my gf's jeep 4.0.

'64-9 americans were all basically the same chassis, with a mild
freshening for '66.  two '66s and a '68 were my daily drivers for some
25 years, all 2dr 220s, plain and simple.

" He ended up replacing it with a '73 Plymouth Duster with 3-speed and the 198
" cube slant six. Years later, I went to trade it and had dealers swear that
" there was no such size engine.

pinheads.

my grandparents had a '66 dart with the 170.  when the front end
rusted away so that the suspension nearly fell out, we sold the engine
to a fisherman who put it into his boat, still humming.  iirc that was
in the early '80s.