[rescue] What a load of...

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Thu Sep 27 12:33:17 CDT 2007

Lionel Peterson wrote:
> I have argued for a long time that "back in the day" (late '60s through OPEC
> gas crisis/mid-'70s) cars were over-built to exceed the needs of the cars,
> and since the mid-70s cars were designed for a specific purpose with no extra
> margin in any part (the famous self-destruct after 125K miles feature most
> new cars seem to feature)...

I'd agree, they don't make 'em like they used to.  But in exchange, new
cars are much lighter, they are much safer, have more power, go faster,
are more fuel efficient, and handle better.

I'd also wonder,  1965-2007, when prices are adjusted for inflation, are
cars getting cheaper or more expensive?  Anyone have some data on that?

    -Dan