[rescue] What a load of...

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 08:58:59 CDT 2007

On 9/26/07, Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus at yahoo.com> wrote:
> But seriously, putting 1600 pounds of hardware in a
> minivan makes driving (and stopping) fun. I've done
> it, and I'm likely to do it again. But remember when
> overloading vehicles

What is the point of a minivan if 1600lbs is overloading? A properly
designed minivan should be level and totally safe to drive with
1600lbs. Average weight for an American is about 175lbs (170lbs
female, 180lbs male) according to some studies. I would have tought
higher (didn't I post a similar thought recently?), but I'm not sure
what range of ages this takes into consideration. But, anyway, for
argument sake, let's say 175lbs. The minivan seats 8.

8x175lbs =1400 lbs

Ok, so not 1600lbs. If the minivan is not rated for at least 1400lbs (
GVWR - curb weight), I think they are misrepresenting the vehicule.
Reality check, a Chrysler Town and Country Limited weighs 4450 lbs,
GVWR is 5700, so 1250lbs, but it can only sit 7 people, so that would
be right on.
Toyota Sienna, 4400 lbs, GVWR 5690, so 1290 and comes in 7 or 8 seater...

Disapointing. I was really expecting close to 2000lbs. They make the
cars out of tin nowadays? So I'm baffled by such low numbers. Let me
look at a Chevy Avalanche. 1190lbs! ??

My 25+mpg, 16 year old 8 seater wagon has higher load capacity than
the above vehicules... That's progress. I cant imagine driving a "car"
that weighs over 4000 lbs empty...

Francois