[rescue] updating PROM w/ something other than Solaris?

Michael-John Turner mj at turner.org.za
Thu Sep 27 00:28:09 CDT 2007

On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 07:31:00PM -0700, James Hartley wrote:
> I've resurrected a U10 which only had OpenBoot 3.25 on it.  What
> information I find on SunSolve states that updating the PROM is not
> OS-dependent.  Has anyone had issues with upgrading the PROM though
> either OpenBSD or NetBSD?

Although I've never tried it, you shouldn't have any problem copying the
flash update to local disk and booting that instead of booting the
OpenBSD/NetBSD boot loader. There is no requirement that you have Solaris
installed (as Jonathan C. Patschke said).

I normally update my Suns by network booting the flash updates - just make
them accessible via tftp and instead of making the IP in hex point to the
boot loader, point it to the flash update. It's worked for me with U1s,
U5/10s and U60s (no luck with U2s for some reason - I get "Fast Data MMU
Miss" errors).

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner | http://mjturner.net/