[rescue] [geeks] CLJ4500DN help - rear duplex cover

Ron Wickersham rjw at alembic.com
Fri Sep 14 23:36:00 CDT 2007

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> I configure the defaults on the printer via the front panel or JetAdmin,
> then on the Windows boxes, I set up a printer driver using the HP
> JetDirect driver and set things how I want them in printing preferences.
> And most of the time, *that* Just Works.  Except that from one specific
> Windows 2000 machine only (all our gameboxes run Win2KProSP4), going to
> that specific printer only, I can't save any printing preferences.  I
> make my changes, click "Apply", Windows says it's done, I close the
> printing prefs dialog, open it again, and my prefs are back exactly the
> way they started.  If I turn duplex on or enable color printing in any
> given application's print dialog, that works fine, I just can't make the
> setting persistent -- and only from that machine, only to that printer.

we've seen a related problem with that HP printer and MicroSoft XP-Pro
(running on a Sun W2100Z workstation).   in our case the duplex setting
sticks ok, but on printing PDF pages, the driver defaults to PostScript
level 3 and you have to set it to level 2 everytime you print (and it
has to be the last thing just before sending the print job).    very
frustrating.

but love the CLJ4500N (and the CLJ8500N for which there is only a beta
MicroSoft driver).   had the same experience you did, that they just
work from unix.

-ron