[rescue] Good way to identify RAM?

Curious George jorge234q at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 14 14:42:48 CDT 2007

Greetings!

--- Earl Baugh <earl at baugh.org> wrote:

> Ok, I've got a small metric buttload of SIMMs / DRAM
>  that has been
> mysteriously growing over
> here (what with the rescues I've done recently,

[snip]

http://www.chipmunk.nl/DRAM/ChipManufacturers.htmwhich

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=179and
> http://www.pcstats.com/ramfinder.cfm
>
> But all told, haven't found a good RAM Rosetta
> stone...
>
> Most helpful suggestion (aside from "ship it all to
> me" 8-) ) gets first
> dibbs on what they want from the buckets...

I usually look up the part numbers on the "chips"
and make guesstimates from there.  Being a hardware
engineer, I have a metric buttload of *databooks*
so this is usually a lead pipe cinch.

Of course, that tells me what the *geometry* is
likely to be but doesn't tell me what *machine*
it is likely to come out of!  :<  (I've had some
nasty surprises plugging Alpha SIMMs into non-Alpha
machines!  :<

Good luck!