[rescue] Ultra 5 NVRAM problems, boot command = bggt

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Sep 14 12:50:36 CDT 2007

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007, John Edwards wrote:

> There is a pattern here - each of the letters that are wrong are eight
> less then they should be. Not sure what could cause that.

Possibly a bad data-line to NVRAM or within the NVRAM module.  I -think-
the NVRAM on a sun4m/sun4u-era Sun is accessed serially, so it'd
most-likely be that the NVRAM module itself is just bad.

> But after replacing the NVRAM battery the problem persists.

Hm, but that argues against it, since the battery and NVRAM are all in
the same component.  Do any of the traces near that socket look damaged?

--
Jonathan Patschke     )  "So far, 99% of illegal activity has been caused
Elgin, TX            (    by criminals."