[rescue] Good way to identify RAM?

Ahmed Ewing aewing at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 22:24:39 CDT 2007

On 9/12/07, Earl Baugh <earl at baugh.org> wrote:
> Ok, I've got a small metric buttload of SIMMs / DRAM
> [...]
> But all told, haven't found a good RAM Rosetta stone...
>
> Most helpful suggestion (aside from "ship it all to me" 8-) ) gets first
> dibbs on what they
> want from the buckets...

Not that this will necessarily be an answer, but I've actually found
this to be the main way that a decrepit old 486 in an ugly beige full
tower manages to keep dodging the dumpster and earning its keep in my
fold. It happens to have both 72-pin and 30-pin slots, and has done a
good amount of RAM ID work.

In other words--"ship it all to me".

...I kid, I kid. :-) Like you, the last thing I need is more
unidentified RAM in bulk quantities than I have already. But if a
similar motherboard comes across your plate for cheap you may want to
consider making room for it, at least as a bench tool. I have yet to
find a single source for deciphering the DRAM component markings
across all the major manufacturers, nevermind the no-names that really
need documentation the most.

Hope that helps,

-A