[rescue] Looking for Cisco 7000 FEIPs

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Wed Sep 12 14:29:42 CDT 2007

On Wednesday 12 September 2007, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> > I picked up a few Cisco 7000s (with only minor straining;) a few
> > days ago, and am looking for some Fast Ethernet interface
> > processors for it.
> >
> > I'd like to get the copper version, I don't have a lot of use for
> > 100Base-FX :)
>
> You don't want the FEIP.  You want the VIP2-50 and the PA-FE-TX.
> Trust me.
>
> It won't even cost that much.  Just make sure your VIP2-50 has at
> least 64MB RAM.  128 (the max) would be a good idea.

Well, it looks like I've actually got a VIP2(-40?) and an FEIP, without
modules.  I wasn't sure what they were, and they have no modules in
them.  So, I want some PA-FE-TX's I guess?  Are those the same between
FEIP and the VIP2's?

> Do the 7000s have the RSP7000 or the RP+SP/SSP?  If it's running an
> RP, I *highly* recommend getting an RSP7000.  It would be required
> for use with a VIP2 anyway.

RP+SSP I think, but I haven't looked closely at all of the 7000s yet.
All I want (right now) is something that'll let me connect FDDI and ATM
nets to my ethernet network, and work better than (read: at all) when I
tried to shove a DEFPA in a Linux box and use it as router.  I never
figured I'd see a K7 box with that high of CPU load, only routing the
small number of packets that actually got through.

Pat