[rescue] AS/400e resale value?

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Wed May 2 09:48:04 CDT 2007

Kevin R. Marshall wrote:
> Does an AS/400e (type: 9406-820) have any resale value these
> days?  I have a client that is trying to get rid of theirs and
> are so far, not having much luck.
>
> I don't have any data on the specs, other than it has 2 tape
> drives (a small 8mm library and one DAT) large Best UPS and 20+
> drives.  No info on drive size or RAM or OS/400 revision.
>
> Any input would be appreciated,

On the open market?  Probably not.  To a dealer?  Maybe.

The reason why RS/6000 and pSeries hold their value on the open market
so much better than iSeries and AS/400 is that so many more people know
RS/6000 than AS/400.  The stupid part is that pSeries machines command a
price premium over equally powerful iSeries machines *which are capable
of running AIX*.

Peace...  Sridhar