[rescue] Disposing Of OS/2 Apps (old floppy installs)

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat Mar 31 22:49:04 CDT 2007

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

>> Does a binder of over 70 CDs count?  YAY IBM!
>
> I forget which IBM product it was, but I once installed an IBM product
> from a truly gigantic pile of 3480 tape cartridges.  Something like 50
> tapes in all.  Not all of the tapes were used in the installation
> (some were optional), but most were.

IBM Content Manager for Multiplatforms.

-NINETY TWO- CD-ROMs.

A very small minority of them are actually used during any given
installation, and the installation procedure is so complex that, in
addition to the several CDs of documentation, there's a CD entirely
dedicated to the installation of the product.

Oh, and the documentation on the installation CD was -wrong-.  It took
me three weeks to figure out how to get all that crap installed (order
matters, and particular patch-levels for individual pacakges on the
system were critical), and I wound up with a 20-page document (no
pictures) describing the process in excruciating detail.

--
Jonathan Patschke ) "If we keep our pride, though paradise is lost, we
Elgin, TX        (   will pay the price, but we cannot count the cost."