[rescue] Q: best OS for Netra X1

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Fri Mar 30 07:43:02 CDT 2007

On Mar 30, 2007, at 2:39 AM, Micah R Ledbetter wrote:

> ZFS kicks RAIDframe and mdadm in the face. Just sayin'. :)

Having had recent experience with all three, I will say that

ZFS > mdadm > RAIDframe (on OpenBSD)

mdadm is more like a Linux version of the SVM stuff.

> (It probably doesn't matter too very much for RAID-1, but it still
> does have some nice conveniences, like NFS sharing, quotas, and so
> forth that are all integrated and easy to use.)

Unfortunately SPARCE/IDE combinations suffer from a bug under Solaris
10 that makes ZFS unusably slow due a weird bug in the driver (this bit
me on the AX1105 OEM board I set up a few months ago)... so if Solaris
then I will use SVM instead.

--Patrick