[rescue] Q: best OS for Netra X1

Ahmed Ewing aewing at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 01:24:39 CDT 2007

On 3/30/07, Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick at zill.net> wrote:
> Any reason to put anything other than Solaris 10 on a Netra X1?
>
> I am not acquainted with the other OS choices for this kind of SPARC
> hardware.

Here's a good writeup on installing Linux on the X1, complete with
annotated illustrations (Debian-centric but with links to other
distros that should work as well):

http://040.digital-bless.com/texts/installing_debian_linux_on_sun_netra_x1.html

And here is another one dealing with the X1 and FreeBSD (presumably,
Net / Open should not be far off, but I'm admittedly not very
well-versed in any of them):

http://roqet.org/freebsd_sun_netra_x1.html

> Purpose: to hold 2 RAID1'ed 120GB drives for backup, and to handle
> email.

I'll hold my peace regarding my opinion of the X1 itself... let's just
say I'm personally not a fan of the platform's awkward feature set (or
lack thereof) :-) Have fun.

Hope that helps,

-A