[rescue] Disposing Of OS/2 Apps

Dan Duncan danduncan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 21:54:48 CDT 2007

On 3/26/07, Clemson, Chris <Chris.Clemson at softwareag.co.uk> wrote:
> Blame the OS.
> Novell DOS 7 with it's funky Desqview-type TSR thingy would let you
> format a floppy /and/ do something else at the same time.
> How's that for multi-tasking :)

OS/2 was the same way.  Formatting a floppy didn't really have much
effect on system performance.

> Was just a shame that the Desqview-type thingy wasn't very compatible
> with lots of DOS programs.....

Man I loved Desqview!   It let me avoid Windows until I got OS/2.  As long as
I kept certain apps in ram (all 2MB of ram that I had on my 386DX/20) they
would run in the background.  I could download full speed at 14.4kbps in
the background and still run almost anything I wanted.  When I got my new
system (486BL3-75 w/ 16MB) it came with Windows 3.1.  I tried to match
the performance of my 386 by downloading a file in the background.  No
dice.  The system slowed to a crawl and started dropping enough packets
that even zmodem would get pissed off.  I deleted Windows and dual booted
slackware and DOS (PC DOS 6) until OS/2 2.1 came out shortly thereafter.

--
Dan Duncan