[rescue] Anyone have Cobalt RAQ 3i or 4i ?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sat Mar 24 22:41:24 CDT 2007

>From: "Curtis H. Wilbar Jr." <rescue at hawkmountain.net>
>Date: 2007/03/24 Sat PM 09:58:18 CDT
>To: rescue at sunhelp.org
>Subject: [rescue] Anyone have Cobalt RAQ 3i or 4i ?

>Well,
>
>My RAQ3i has been hanging... and I think I just drove the nail in it's
>coffin, as
>I accidentally inserted the boot flash chip in backwards....

I was looking at getting one of these as something to play with, but in the end I decided to go with a low-end hosting service, and so far I can't be happier with them. DreamHost.com - I had a "promo code" that took nearly 50% off the list price, and when I prepaid for 24 months of service (their L1, or cheapest offering) it came to $93 for all 24 months, including a free 1 year domain registration. It has all the bells and whistles, including some ungodly amount of storage, traffic, and email accounts (I think I can have 3,000 email accounts!).

To get an Raq3 was looking to be about a $100 event, and if it worked perfectly would still cost more (esp. after you add in power & maint), and if there's a problem with my Comcast cable connection it would be unavailable, and...

Raq3 servers are pretty cheap, esp. if you don't care about disc size or included RAM - it might make sense to get a spare box for $50-75 (or not)...

Lionel