[rescue] Disposing Of OS/2 Apps

Dan Duncan danduncan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 23:46:57 CDT 2007

On 3/23/07, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
> What did Win95 take, something like 20 or 21 diskettes? I remember having to
> "make" a set of Win95 diskettes for my Libretto 50, and when I decided to
> rebuild the system with a bigger HD, it was a ROYAL pain to slowly feed in
> each of the 20 or so diskettes...

Yuck.  I remember getting an install of some Corel product dumped on me
around 1994 by a cow-orker who had to go to lunch around disk 4 of 20 or
so.  The system would literally grind away for 10 minutes on each floppy
because they were using some heavy compression scheme and decompressing
each floppy on the fly instead of spooling them to hard drive and decompressing
there.  I wondered at the time why some people at Corel had jobs.

Steve Hatle wrote:
> I also seem to remember that between OS/2 Warp and NT 3.51(?), there was a
> run-up in the price of floppy disks, since each product used so dang many it
> dried up the suppliers.

I only bought my versions of OS/2 on CD even though I only had one system with
a CDROM drive because there was an executable on the CD that would create
floppies from the CD.  It worked in DOS or OS/2. I still have them
all, and they
probably still work.  I did pick up copies of 2.0 and 2.1 on floppy a
couple of years
ago because they were free, but they're still shrinkwrapped.

--
Dan Duncan