[rescue] Needed: Tru64 install media

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Mon Mar 12 22:41:03 CDT 2007

On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 08:52:39PM +0000, Mike Meredith wrote:
> Theoretically an Alpha is no longer needed; seems that somebody ported
> the Symbolics Virtual Lisp Machine to linux x86_64 :-
> http://labs.aezenix.com/lispm/index.php?title=VLM_On_Linux
> The links there don't work but you can add 'www.' at the beginning to
> fix them.

Yes - I talked with Brad a few months ago - his efforts are/were not
supposed to be widespread public knowledge yet, at least at the time.

"Brad Parker wrote an implementation of the VLM for Linux. It is based on
 the Symbolics software, and there is some uncertainty about its legal
 status as well as the legal status of the rest of Symbolics intellectual
 property. This seems to mean that redistribution of the software or using
 it in a commercial context is not possible at the moment."

and that's one reason why.  Also, in my testing snap4 wasn't stable
enough for even "hobbyist"-type use.

Hrm, looks like Brad links to the front page of that wiki now from *his*
webspace.  I should email him and ask what's up with regards to the
Symbolics VLM-on-Linux.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford