[rescue] Sun Ultra 1 Creator 3D - Power On Problems

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun Mar 11 08:00:56 CDT 2007

>From: Ronald Gilchrist <unixrescue at gmail.com>
>Date: 2007/03/11 Sun AM 01:17:45 CST
>To: rescue at sunhelp.org
>Subject: [rescue] Sun Ultra 1 Creator 3D - Power On Problems

>Hi all,
>
>I recently rescued a Sun Ultra 1 Creator 3D from being thrown out. After
>bringing it home, and having a look inside (256 MB RAM, 9GB Disk, CD-ROM,
>Floppy a 13W3 graphics card and an extra SCSI + 10/100 NIC SBUS card) I
>tried to power it up.
>
>The CPU, PSU and Disk fans all spin up, for about 5 seconds and then spin
>down. If I "power the machine off" and then "power it on" it does the same.
>The power light flickered initially, but I don't see it anymore.
>
>Is this machine likely to be dead? Is it stopping because it doesn't have a
>keyboard / mouse pulgged it? Could it be the lithium battery in the TOC is
>dead and so is the machine (ie a new TOC would bring it back to life)?
>
>I've switched the serial ports to RS-232 (they were in their RS-432 default
>state) and I plan to connect it up to an x86 linux box just as soon as I
>find a F<->M 25-pin adapter, but in the mean time, I'd like to know, should
>I bother?

Anyone know how an Ultra 1 presents when the CPU is fried by a failed CPU
fan? I wonder if that is the problem here?

I've already offered Ronald a replacement Ultra 1 base, and I extend that
offer to anyone else interested - just actual shipping costs from 08534 to
you for a base, if you need RAM/Framebuffer/HD we can probably work something
out for few $ more...

If interested, please contact me off-list.

Lionel